Fritz Fires His Way Into Cincinnati Open Fourth Round

Taylor Fritz (photo: Kate Hua /Wick Photography for Cincinnati Open)

CINCINNATI/WASHINGTON, August 19, 2026 (by Michael Dickens)

World No. 9 Taylor Fritz has enjoyed playing in the United States this summer. After winning the Mubadala DC Open title earlier this month, an ATP 500-series event that is two rungs below a Grand Slam, the southern Californian has begun well in southern Ohio at the ATP Masters 1000 Cincinnati Open this week. On American home soil, Fritz is undefeated – 7-0. 

Fritz, who is seeded sixth in Cincinnati, is the highest-ranked American left in the men’s draw following the opening-round upset of World No. 6 and eighth seed Ben Shelton by Portuguese qualifier Jaime Faria on Sunday.

On Tuesday afternoon, Fritz advanced to the fourth round of the ATP Masters 1000 event for the fourth time in the last five years (2022-23, 2025-26) following his 6-3, 6-4 victory over up-and-coming, 21-year-old Spaniard Daniel Merida, ranked 40th.

Fritz joined Tommy Paul, Shelton and Frances Tiafoe as the fourth American man to record 30 wins this season after defeating Merida in one hour and 23 minutes on P & G Stadium Court. He hit eight aces and 17 winners overall, won 77 percent (33 of 43) of his first-serve points, saved both break points he faced and won all 10 of his service games.

The 28-year-old Fritz converted two of seven break-point opportunities, took advantage of 25 unforced errors by the Madrid native and outpointed Merida 66-51.

“I think I served well today, using my cutters,” Fritz said during his on-court interview. “The wind helped me a bit, too. 

“I tried to be solid, aggressive and attacking second serves, mixing up my second serve a bit, too, which was huge.”

Next, Fritz will take on Australian Christopher O’Connell, whom he is 3-0 lifetime against, in Wednesday’s fourth round. The 129th-ranked qualifier from Sydney advanced by walk over after No. 23 seed Joao Fonseca of Brazil withdrew on Monday due to an abdominal injury.

When he was asked what it would take to beat O’Connell, Fritz didn’t hesitate to answer.

“If I stick to what I do well, which is serving well, try to be aggressive and impose my game, I feel like that’s always going to be the strategy,” he said.

Looking ahead, if Fritz advances past O’Connell, his quarterfinal opportunity likely would be fellow American and No. 27 seed Brandon Nakashima. A semifinal match-up against either No. 2 seed Felix Auger-Aliassime of Canada, No. 10 Lorenzo Musetti of Italy or another American, either No. 16 seed Learner Tien or No. 17 Frances Tiafoe, is a possibility.

Around the Cincinnati Open

• No. 47 Nuno Borges of Portugal upset 2021 Cincinnati Open runner-up and this year’s No. 13 seed Andrey Rublev of Russia for the first time in six career meetings, 6-3, 6-4, in an hour and 12 minutes on P & G Stadium Court. The loss denied Rublev (199-99) of becoming the third man to record 200 tour-level hard-court wins in this decade after Daniil Medvedev (241) and Jannik Sinner (238). 

• No. 4 seed Daniil Medvedev, who leads all players in hard-court wins since the start of the 2018 season with 325 and started Tuesday as one of two former champions left in the Cincinnati Open field along with No. 1 seed Alexander Zverev of Germany, was upset by World No. 22 Brandon Nakashima of the United States, 6-7 (3), 7-6 (4), 6-1, in two hours and 51 minutes on the Grandstand Court.

Medvedev took a 3-0 head-to-head lead into his third-round match against Nakashima, who is coming off a run to the title match last week at the ATP Masters 1000 National Bank Open in Montreal. Nakashima struck eight aces and hit 35 winners overall, won 80 percent (47 of 59) of his first-serve points and converted three of 12 break points. He saved three match points in the second set and went on to outpoint Medvedev 117-104 in collecting his 29th victory of the season. Nakashima will face Borges in the fourth round.

• World No. 15 and 10th seed Lorenzo Musetti of Italy advanced over 110th-ranked American qualifier Michael Zheng, 6-1, 6-3, on Tony Trabert Stadium 3. Next, Musetti will face 79th-ranked qualifier Jaime Faria of Portugal, who defeated No. 98 Adam Walton of Australia, 4-6, 6-4, 7-6 (3), in two hours and 11 minutes on Champions’ Court.

• In an all-American battle that was featured on P & G Stadium Court Tuesday night, World No. 12 Learner Tien took on World No. 23 Frances Tiafoe. Tien was aiming to become the second American man this decade to advance to the fourth round at Cincinnati before turning 21, following Ben Shelton (age 19 in 2022).

Meanwhile, Tiafoe, who reached the biggest final of his career at the Cincinnati Open two years ago, was looking to advance to the fourth round in Cincinnati for the third-straight year.

The Tien-Tiafoe winner will face World No. 4 and second seed Felix Auger-Aliassime of Canada, who advanced with a 7-5, 6-1 victory over No. 51 Juan Manuel Cerundolo of Argentina on the Grandstand Court. The victory advanced Auger-Aliassime to his third ATP Masters 1000 round of 16 this season and it’s the fifth time in the last six editions he’s made it to the fourth round in Cincinnati. The Canadian No. 1 dropped just three points on his first serve and saved the only break point he faced.

• In doubles, the top two seeded teams advanced to the second round with first-round victories. No. 1 seeds Harri Heliovaara of Finland and Henry Patten of Great Britain defeated alternates Yannick Hanfmann of Germany and Miomir Kecmanovic of Serbia, 6-4, 6-2, and No. 2 seeds Marcel Granollers of Spain and Horacio Zeballos of Argentina took out Francisco Cabral of Portugal and JJ Tracy of the United States, 7-6 (4), 6-2.

Tuesday’s Cincinnati Open results

Wednesday’s Cincinnati Open order of play

By the numbers

With his victory over Andrey Rublev on Tuesday afternoon, Nuno Borges has became the first Portuguese man to reach the round of 16 at the Cincinnati Open in the Open Era. It took him six tries to achieve the milestone. Later, Jaime Faria joined Borges to become the second Portuguese man to advance to the fourth round at the Cincinnati Open since 1968.

“Quotable …”

“Really a step up from my first match. Atmane played amazing tennis, incredibly aggressive, unbelievable serve, hitting forehands all over the court. I am happy to be through in straight sets.”

– No. 1 seed Alexander Zverev of Germany, during his on-court interview after defeating Terence Atmane of France, 7-6 (4), 7-6 (6), in two hours and nine minutes to advance to the fourth round against No. 18 seed Tommy Paul of the United States.