HAMBURG/STARNBERG, May 23, 2026
Under bright sunshine on the hospitality terrace at Hamburg’s Rothenbaum Tennis Stadium, tournament director Enric Molina and German Tennis Federation (DTB) president Dietloff von Arnim reflected on another highly successful edition of the Bitpanda Hamburg Open during the tournament’s closing press conference.
Both organizers agreed that the prestigious ATP 500 event once again confirmed its status as one of the highlights of the clay-court season. For Tennium, this marked the third edition of the tournament under its leadership, and Molina expressed great satisfaction with both the sporting level and the atmosphere throughout the week.
“We are extremely happy with the sporting side of this year’s tournament,” Molina said. “With three Top 10 players and seven Top 20 players overall, we had the strongest field in Hamburg since 2008. That speaks for itself. We witnessed fantastic matches, long days of tennis and world-class competition.”
DTB president Dietloff von Arnim echoed that enthusiasm. “The player field developed sensationally, and we saw sensational matches,” he said.
As in previous years, the Rothenbaum once again became the stage for breakthrough performances and emotional stories. One of the standout moments came from Peruvian qualifier Ignacio Buse, who made a surprise run all the way to the final.
“There were incredible surprises,” Molina noted. “Ignacio Buse reaching the final from qualifying is proof of the quality and depth of the draw. In recent years, players like Arthur Fils or last year’s champion Flavio Cobolli celebrated their breakthrough performances here in Hamburg.”
Molina also emphasized the importance of supporting Germany’s next generation of players through wildcard opportunities and training experiences during the tournament.
“The tournament gives young German players the chance to prove themselves at the highest level,” he said. “Diego Dedura, Niels McDonald, Justin Engel and Max Schönhaus are just a few examples. Niels and Max were able to train with the professionals throughout the week and gain valuable experience.”
Von Arnim highlighted that aspect as particularly important for the German Tennis Federation. “Wildcards for German talents are especially close to our hearts,” he said.
Off the court, the tournament also continued its positive development. A total of 75,000 spectators attended the event, matching the strong numbers from the previous year. The newly introduced “Players Sky Lounge” proved particularly popular, with all 75 day tickets for the semi-finals and finals selling out completely.
“Despite the weather challenges at times, it was a fantastic week,” Molina said with a smile. “What I especially appreciate about the Hamburg crowd is that the fans stay until late at night if necessary. Great tennis is truly appreciated here.”
He also pointed to the revised ticket structure, which helped make the event more accessible for fans.
“We made tickets more affordable and introduced the new ‘Five’ category,” Molina explained. “On some days it was difficult to decide which matches should be placed on Centre Court. Players like Karen Khachanov, Frances Tiafoe and Daniel Altmaier competed on Court M1, which made the ground pass especially attractive and was reflected in the attendance figures.”
The atmosphere on the outside courts created some of the most memorable moments of the week, with packed stands and passionate crowds adding to the tournament’s unique character.
Attention has already shifted toward the 2027 edition, and the early signs are highly promising. Ticket sales opened last Monday and are already running 15 percent ahead of the same period last year. From May 15, 2027, the Rothenbaum will once again welcome the world’s best players under the slogan: every point counts in Hamburg.




