CINCINNATI/WASHINGTON, August 20, 2026 (by Michael Dickens)
On a day in which the Sweet 16 morphed into the Elite Eight at the Cincinnati Open, No. 18 seed Tommy Paul of the United States set up a tantalizing quarterfinal against No. 7 seed Flavio Cobolli of Italy after both players pulled off back-to-back upsets on P & G Stadium court Wednesday afternoon.
First, the World No. 10 Cobolli rallied from a set down to beat No. 12 seed Rafael Jodar, 4-6, 7-6 (3), 6-3, in two hours and 31 minutes. Cobolli silenced the 19-year-old Spaniard’s charge in Cincinnati and prevented him from reaching back-to-back-to-back quarterfinals after advancing to the last eight in Washington, D.C., earlier this month and Montreal last week.
Then, Zverev, who leads the ATP Tour in match wins this season (46), highlighted by his Roland-Garros title, fell to 18-4 at the Cincinnati Open since 2021 and was denied reaching his fifth-consecutive quarterfinal in southern Ohio following his 4-6, 7-6 (6), 6-4 loss to the World No. 24 Paul, whose victory placed him in his 50th-career ATP Tour quarterfinal.
Tommy’s moment 🤩@TommyPaul1 | #CincyTennis pic.twitter.com/YAJsomNow4
— Cincinnati Open (@CincyTennis) August 19, 2026
The World No. 3 and top seed Zverev pulled ahead by a break lead at 4-2 in the final set before Paul strung together four-straight game wins. He saved a match point down 5-6 in the second-set tie-break and kept his cool under pressure. Paul rallied after a near-90-minute rain shower interrupted the fourth-round match and stretched the conclusion into the evening. By the conclusion of the two-hour, 51-minute tussle, Paul had struck 34 winners – including nine aces –made 46 unforced errors, won 75 percent (47 of 63) of his first-serve points and saved three of five break points. He converted two of three break-point chances against Zverev and outpointed the German No. 1 100-98.
Take it all in, TP 👏@TommyPaul1 is a Cincinnati quarter-finalist for the first time in his career! @CincyTennis | #CincyTennis pic.twitter.com/SteQm7tcAx
— ATP Tour (@atptour) August 19, 2026
During his on-court interview, Paul was asked how he was able to turn his match with Zverev around. “Not really sure,” he said. “I guess just put some returns in. He gave me a couple of looks at second serves and a couple of doubles there that helped me out a ton. Then, I was just going after the ball a little bit more, going after the second [serve] a little bit more. And I’m having fun out here, having fun.”
This is what it means 🤩@cobollifla | #CincyTennis pic.twitter.com/ixdwxGzeff
— Cincinnati Open (@CincyTennis) August 19, 2026
It was Paul’s third career victory over Zverev in four meetings and set up a quarterfinal meeting against Cobolli, who beat Jodar in their first career meeting. The 24-year-old Italian, who was a finalist at Roland-Garros in June, overcame 51 unforced errors by striking 33 winners, compared to 26 winners and 48 unforced errors by Jodar. Cobolli outpointed his opponent 111-106.
“I just [told] myself to believe, to fight in every point, and I knew I would get a chance,” Cobolli said during his on-court interview after collecting his third-straight three-set victory in Cincinnati. “Rafa, I think he played an incredible season, an incredible week, so I think he felt a little tired at the beginning of the second. Still, I think the level was really high and in the third set, I pushed [myself] to the limit.”
Around the Cincinnati Open
• No. 21 seed Arthur Fils of France reached his fifth ATP Masters 1000 quarterfinal after defeating No. 5 seed Alex de Minaur of Australia, 6-3, 6-4, in one hour and 22 minutes on Grandstand Court. Fils has tied Jo-Wilfried Tsonga (2012) for most ATP Masters 1000 quarterfinals reached in a single season by a Frenchman (5) as well as to become the third Frenchman in the Open Era to advance to the quarterfinals of both Canada and Cincinnati in a season after Fabrice Santoro in 2004 and Gaël Monfils in 2011.
Masterclass 🎓@ArthurFils powers into his eighth Masters 1000 quarter-final after a brilliant 6-3, 6-4 victory over de Minaur. @CincyTennis | #CincyTennis pic.twitter.com/ejm8jYKuWB
— ATP Tour (@atptour) August 19, 2026
• Fils will face No. 50 Thiago Agustin Tirante of Argentina, who continued his dream week in Cincinnati by reaching the quarterfinal round after upsetting No. 14 seed Jakub Mensik of Czechia, 5-7, 6-4, 6-4, in two hours and 14 minutes in back of hitting 18 winners on Tony Trabert Stadium 3.
New territory unlocked 🔓@TiranteThiago digs deep to knock out Mensik and reach the biggest quarter-final of his career!@CincyTennis | #CincyTennis pic.twitter.com/Ic6cWUyml3
— ATP Tour (@atptour) August 19, 2026
• A day after Brandon Nakashima saved three match points to topple No. 4 seed Daniil Medvedev, the No. 27 seed from the United States took out No. 47 Nuno Borges of Portugal, 6-3, 6-7 (5), 6-3, in two hours and 20 minutes on Tony Trabert Stadium 3. He’s the fifth American man to record 30 victories on the ATP Tour this season. Nakashima fired 27 aces and hit 39 winners overall to beat Borges. The 25-year-old American finalist last week at Montreal is through to his fourth quarterfinal in his last five events.
A big-time finish from @b_nakashima 💪#CincyTennis pic.twitter.com/9JlCabquce
— Cincinnati Open (@CincyTennis) August 20, 2026
• In men’s doubles, there were four round of 16 matches that took place across the Lindner Family Tennis Center grounds on Wednesday. No. 2 seeds Marcel Granollers of Spain and Horacio Zeballos of Argentina, who won the 2021 Cincinnati Open title, held on to defeat Austin Krajicek of the United States and Nikola Mektic of Croatia, 6-5, 5-7, 10-4.
Elsewhere, American wild cards Robert Galloway and Evan King were beaten by Luciano Darderi of Italy and Tomas Martin Etcheverry of Argentina, 6-4, 5-7, 10-7; Frenchmen Sadio Doumbia and Fabien Reboul defeated Jakub Schnaitter and Mark Wallner of Germany, 6-4, 6-4, and Brazilian duo Orlando Luz and Rafael Matos advanced over Marcelo Melo of Brazil and Alexander Zverev of Germany, 7-6 (4), 6-3.
Wednesday’s Cincinnati Open results
Thursday’s Cincinnati Open order of play
By the numbers
Since the start of the Open Era in 1968, there have been five teenagers who have been quarterfinalists at Canada and Cincinnati in the same season. They include: Stefan Edberg (1985), Boris Becker (1987), Michael Chang (1990), Andy Roddick (2002) and Andy Murray (2006).
“Quotable …”
“He [Learner] is annoying as hell. Gets so many balls back and keeps making you play. [It felt like] I just got finished. … My body is not feeling the best, but these matches are big. We just have to get through and have the chance to play at our maximum.”
– No. 17 seed Frances Tiafoe of the United States, during his on-court interview Tuesday night after defeating fellow American and No. 16 seed Learner Tien in three tough sets.





